Saturday, July 21, 2012

Farmer's Market! or "ugh why am I up so early on a Saturday?"

Farmer's markets are awesome. It's local produce from local people, often grown organically. You also never know who you'll run into browsing the tents. The downside, for me anyways, is they are outside and therefore generally held in the mornings on the weekends. I'm not much for sleeping in, but I am not a morning person. It's pretty slow-going until I've had my cup of tea, bowl of oatmeal, and splashed some water on my face. My lack of morning motivation means I almost always miss the local market. Then I'm saddled with guilt the entire week as I buy unnaturally perfect looking grocery store produce.
But not today! Well, actually I nearly did skip but my mother convinced me that I could take my tea to-go and eat the oatmeal later. So onward we journeyed to the local farmer's market and I bought some much needed potatoes, tomatoes, and cucumbers along with a pie.  That's right, it's not just vegetables at the market, there is usually baked goods and sometimes food being cooked right there for you.

I'm living and working at home for the summer so I shopped the Harvey County Farmer's Market, but I'm looking forward to shopping the much larger Topeka Farmer's Market when I return to the capitol city in August. It's great to support local farmers and eat food that didn't travel 50,000 miles to get to my plate. Here's hoping I'll get out early on a Saturday once school starts.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading about the Farmers Market. That's one thing I always think about, but never make the effort to do. I wish I would, but after reading your blog I might make the effort to try and go this weekend. Your statement about veggies traveling 50k miles to get to our plate is very true. So hopefully this Saturday I can go to the Farmers Market and support our local farmers and maybe buy a pie, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always kick myself for not getting over to the farmer's market. People tell me there is entertainment, arts & crafts, and all types of goods you can buy besides the food. And most of the vendors take Debit cards, so I hear. So I would love to see what all the hype is about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I myself have only ventured to the farmers market in my hometown a few times but I do understand your appreciation for locally bought produce. Not only is it a much more natural way eat, it also keeps your money in the local area rather than shipping it off to God knows where. The thing about farmers markets, especially when it comes to college students, the last thing on your mind on a Friday night typically isn't how you're about to get in 4 hours to make it to the farmer's market. All the same though, I think many people are missing out on good produce and goods by not taking that little bit of sleep in time to explore what the farmer's market offers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to the farmers market but my dad likes to go quite a bit. He always has fresh produce and every once in awhile he buys the pies from the little old ladies there.

    I always notice a distinct taste difference between that bought at the market and the "stuff" bought at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete