Monday, July 23, 2012

Making Time for Zucchini

Work projects, school deadlines, and family what-not make up the hurricane of busyness that is my life right now. It seems like I'm always finishing up one thing just in time to run off somewhere else and work on another. Despite all this racing about, I did make time to pickle some zucchini over the weekend.

I had quite a few zucchini in the fridge that needed to be used soon before they got too squashy and weird. I've had this recipe for Spicy Zucchini Pickles pinned on my recipes board for a while now and it seemed like the perfect time to try it.

I don't actually like pickles. At all. They are gross. But I'm hoping that pickling zucchini will have different taste results. I also really like the spices that go in the jars.

Following the recipe, I began with about 2 pounds of zucchini.
I washed them and sliced them up into sticks.
Then I brought 2 1/4 cups white wine vinegar, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 Tablespoons salt, and 1/4 cup sugar to a boil. After it was boiling nicely I put in about a quarter of the squash sticks and boiled them for about 3 minutes. The recipe says "until it is khaki colored."
I had pint jars waiting and when the sticks were done I used tongs to pull them from the water and slip them into the first jar. I continued with this boiling for 3 minutes process until all the zucchini was boiled and in jars.
I added 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon dill seed to each jar. Then I poured the hot liquid from the pan into each jar so that the zucchini was covered. The lids were screwed on next and then the jars cooled for a while before I put them in the fridge. They need to refrigerate for at least a week before eating so I don't know if they turned out yet. I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment